Mendocino County prepares vaccination warrant for restaurant staff and patrons – The Ukiah Daily Journal


In a move he described as designed to protect both employees and customers, Dr Andy Coren, Mendocino County public health official, announced this week that he was preparing a new health ordinance requiring the vaccination against Covid-19 for restaurant employees and for customers who wish to dine. inside.

“We continue to see many high-risk exposure events, especially in restaurants and bars, and in response, I am preparing a new ordinance requiring employers at these companies (require) employees to be vaccinated or … Show proof of testing, ”Coren said, adding that customers who wish to dine inside will need to show they have been vaccinated. “Otherwise, they can go get take-out food or eat out. I think it will protect employees and customers without harming businesses or the community’s access to food.

John Strangio, who operates the Ukiah Valley Athletic Club with his family, said he and other local business owners were very concerned about the negative impact the proposed new vaccine mandate would have on local businesses, which ‘he described as already suffering.

Strangio said he recently took his family to a local pizza place for the birthday of one of his sons and that “we were the only people inside.” He said he believed the vaccination warrants would “destroy” local businesses that were already struggling to survive, and he planned to hold an outdoor rally at his health club, located at 3101 S. State St. at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, September 7. 4.

“This is not a protest, and not to point fingers,” Strangio said, explaining that he wanted to allow members of the community, including his fellow business owners, to be able to voice their concerns and frustrations. , in particular those concerning the way in which the rules will be applied. . He said he invited Dr Coren to the discussion, but the doctor did not respond on Wednesday.

Coren announced his plan for new vaccine mandates, which he said would allow certain exemptions, to the Mendocino County Supervisory Board at the August 31 board meeting, in which he also said that a recent capping of Covid-19 cases may not reflect reality.

Coren said he wanted to be “cautiously optimistic” about the apparent “plateau or even a possible drop over the past week” in the number of reported Covid-19 cases in the county, however, he added that the reduction could in fact be due to “problematic state-level reporting”.

Additionally, Coren said that “hospitalization rates are still very high, which may be a better indicator of high transmissibility rates, as hospitalizations follow case rates in the community,” describing hospitalization rates. currently for Covid-19 patients in Mendocino County as higher than it was during the spike in cases last winter.

“We have had several days recently with no (intensive care unit) beds available,” Coren continued, adding that the county is not only seeing more Covid-19 patients, but they are also “younger and sicker”. The county is also recording more deaths, with six in the past week and 12 total in August, the highest number of deaths in a month during the pandemic. Previously, the most important month was January 2021, with 11 deaths and 876 new cases reported.

August 2021 is also now the month with the most new cases of Covid-19 by far with 1,365, or 401 more cases than December 2020, when 964 new cases were reported.


Comments are closed.